One of the first people I met through my roomies was Merritt. Not only does she have an awesome name, but she's an awesome lady! The very first time I met her, she threw her arms around me and kissed me on the cheek! And as we parted she hugged me again and said "I Love you!" before walking away. 2 things. First, I am a very touchy-feeley person. I often cuddle with friends and family, because it is in my nature. I cuddle most often with men, because, let's face it, some ladies are uncomfortable cuddling with their queer friend. I don't like to put that discomfort on my lady friends, so if they want to cuddle they come to me. It is much more natural and socially acceptable for a girl to be cuddling with a boy. Even if that boy and girl are in no way "sexy cuddling." I'll come back to the difference later. I have NEVER, in my whole life, met someone as open and free with affection as Miss Merritt. Even some of the friends I have had for years get a little uncomfortable when I tell them that I love them. So I was surprised when someone I had just met said that to me and meant it. Second. People say "Oh I LOVE you!" way too often nowadays. It's become a phrase that has been so overused as to not have as much meaning as it used to. It's a natural part of the vernacular now, and it's second nature for people to say it, even to complete strangers. When Merritt says it, she means it. And you can tell. Remind me to tell you about the thing I can do with energies.. Merritt is well read, quirky, intelligent, hilarious, creative, nurturing and spastic. In a good way. She's one of those characters who participates and GETS INTO whatever it is she is doing, whether it be making giant May Day puppets or dressing up for my Mad Hatter's Tea Party birthday. She's beautiful and active and loves to try new things and then share that experience with others. She's pretty fantastic.
Now most of the people I have met through Eric and Bonnie I have met at dinner parties or barbeques. Scott L. is one of them. Now Scott.. He's a hard one to describe. Just when you think you have the guy down, he cracks one out into left field. He is KING of the nonsensical. For instance.. We could all be sitting outside eating delicious mercado style corn on the cob, having a serious discussion about (This is a made up example.. He does it so often it's hard to remember specific instances!) the light rail they are building in St. Paul. Scott will interject with something completely off-topic, sometimes gross and sometimes inappropriate.. "Did you know that goat testicles..." "So I was looking for pictures of poop on the internet..." At first I didn't know what to make of Scott. But it's just his very unique brand of humor. He's an excellent cook, good for a laugh or a bit of silliness and an avid all you can eat buffet consumer. Seriously. This guy can eat. He has actually been kicked out of buffets for eating too much. I think if they ever made a competitive eating sport where first you cook it and then scarf it, Scott would be the all time champ. If your party is getting a little stale, or your dishes aren't interesting enough, invite Scott over. He is sure to bring his wit and possibly a jar of Chinese powdered army pork.. Mmmm *gag* delicious!
If anyone in the group is as technosexual as Deej is, it's Andy W. (You will find that my nucleus of friends has Andy, Anddi, Scott and Skot. Cuz we're awesome.) If I want to geek out comic book, or foreign film style, Andy is one of the guys I go to. Even Deej has to call Andy every now and then with a tech question. Not often, but sometimes. He has a fancy phone, lots of gaming systems, loves dinner and movie theme nights and has helped save the party more than once. He's reliable and trustworthy, helpful, calm and patient. Andy is married to Wendy. They make a great team. Wendy is another person who has saved the party once or twice. If we're running low on something, or there's stuff that is needed, Andy and Wendy show up, like superheroes, with bags full of what was needed and then some! Now where Andy can geek out for an hour and talk the night away about such-n-such a phone or some new tech advance, Wendy is a listener. I swear, the girl could be a journalist! Not only does she like to ask questions, and get to know people by doing so, but she is actually interested in the answers! You will never find Wendy being a wallflower.. She will be over here, then over there, just talking to people. Listening to stories or asking about work or school or family. These two also have two adorable little shitzus who are my friends. Mao Bi and Mei Mei are awesome. They are my pals and both appreciate the puppyssage. Especially Mao Bi. They are good cuddlers, and also like my parties! The whole Wang-Rufledt household is pretty amazing..
This is my Mad Hatter's Tea Party From Left, Wendy, Me, Bonnie, Deej, Grif, Kevin and Merrit
Anddi and Andy
Scott and Eric randomly running around the grill. And Bonnie is kicking them :)
So there are 4 more of the wonderful people I know. I am very blessed (and, yes, I WILL keep saying this!) to have all of these people in my life. Thank you to all of my scurvy knaves! Those I have mentioned and those yet to be written about.. I love you all!


No comments:
Post a Comment